Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Beer Question

From: Dominik Gehl <dgehl () inverse ca>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 08:20:03 -0400

Hi,

the server socket value can be set with

[mysqld]
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

in the /etc/my.cnf file.

Did you restart MySQL after changing the socket value in this file ? Do
you have any MySQL error messages in your logs ? Is the mysql server
process running ?

Dominik

On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 03:52 -0700, Theodore Stout wrote:
All,

Okay, got a problem with installing Snort which has to
be easy to answer.  I have looked on the web, at
Harper, and other sources and I still can not figure
this one out.  I even took the Sourcefire Snort class
and followed the manual but this problem is still
there and I know it is easy but I can't find it.

As such, I have already drunk 2 big hits of beer and
am planning on drinking more.

Okay, while installing MySQl I am getting the
following error message;

"can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '
/tmp/mysql.sock' "

I am at my wits end as to why this occuring.  There is
what I have already done so you don't tell me
something I already know.

cp support-files/my-medium.cnf /etc/my.cnf
vi /etc/my.cnf
[client]
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
:wq

I have changed the socket value to various settings
looking for the stupid location of that mysql.sock but
I can not find it.  I have tried this on the following
OS's.  (Should be meaningless but someone will ask)

RHEL 4
FC 1-4 (Yeah I have done this 5 times, all on the
airplane)

I got this problem everytime when I was typing
/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql  The error message would
only change value from (2), (20) to (111) as I changed
the value of the sockets settinig.

Any idea?  I have my beer ready.  Hopefully this will
be the last time I ever install Snort and can just use
Soucefire IS....

Theo