Snort mailing list archives

Re: maximum length for msg?

From: Dirk Geschke <dirk () geschke-online de>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 09:47:45 +0200

Hi Alex,

There's no specific length maximum for the msg; as long as you keep your
rule below 1,024 characters, you'll be fine.

are you sure about this? At least I remember this as part of decode.h:

#define        ALERTMSG_LENGTH 256

So I guess more than 255 characters in the messags won't make any
sense, or? So maybe snort can read more characters from the rule
but internally it only uses up to 255...

Best regards

Dirk