Snort mailing list archives

Re: BASE Feature Suggestion to Display Rule Source

From: "Alex Butcher, ISC/ISYS" <Alex.Butcher () bristol ac uk>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 09:42:18 +0100

--On 15 September 2005 18:18 -0500 "McCash, John" <John.McCash () andrew com> wrote:

        From the BASE config file, it looks like the <snort> tag is more
or less just forwarded to the sourcefire URL with a sid number, and the
resultant page is displayed. It strikes me (as a non PHP programmer, no
flames please) that it should not be terribly difficult to have BASE
instead display a web page with two frames, and put the sourcefire stuff
in one, while simultaneously displaying the full text of the referenced
rule (pulled from a locally maintained copy of all rules in use) in the
other.

Indeed - I did this for my local copy of ACID about a year ago. I ported my patch to BASE a few weeks back. Kevin basically liked it, but wanted to tweak it slightly to allow the location of the rules to be modified.

I guess it might show up in the next release.

I've attached my patch against 1.1.4, FWIW.

                John

Best Regards,
Alex.