Snort mailing list archives

Re: maximum length for msg?

From: Alex Kirk <alex.kirk () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 09:37:21 -0400

Dirk Geschke wrote:

Hi Alex,

You are correct about that line being present in decode.h. However, that #define doesn't seem to have any effect on Snort's ability to deal with longer msg strings. For example, I tested 2.3.3 and 2.4 with a fake rule designed to maximize the length of that string:

yes, but you did not check all output-plugins:
Which is why I generally recommended not using longer msg strings, why I was so cautious to note that I had not read all of the relevant code, and why I stated that I might be missing something that would break as a result of this.

output-plugins/spo_alert_unixsock.c, line 197:
strlen(msg)>ALERTMSG_LENGTH-1 ? ALERTMSG_LENGTH - 1 : strlen(msg));

Ok, I think no one really wants to use a message larger than 255 bytes...
Which is probably true from a usability perspective anyway -- if you've got a msg string bigger than that, it's going to be a lot to read, and it's probably going to be so specific/detailed/whatever that it won't make sense to anyone except the person who wrote it.

Alex Kirk
Research Analyst
Sourcefire, Inc.