Snort mailing list archives

RE: Country blocking?

From: Theodore Stout <theodorestout () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 18:58:45 -0800 (PST)

Matt,

I can kind of see your point too.  However, a properly
conigured Proxy Server would help out along with a
good firewall and of course Snort.

As for myself, I would actually benefit from this kind
of rule set.  I mean, there are the homepages I look
at everyday religiously.

securitynewsportal.com (Follow the Hampster!)
moby.com (The pig likes music)
cnn.com (Waiting for the next attack)
sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/ncaa/ (Need
basketball!)
snort.org (Need updates)
snort.gr.jp (In Japanese)
internetsecurityguru.com/ (Patrick rules!)
sourceforge.com
redhat.com (Must have fun)
www.cert.org
microsoft.com (Must know about those patches)
slastdot.org (Must relax)
uiuc.edu (Illini are #1 in B-ball now!)
yahoo.com/r/m1
google.com (must look up English words)

In my case, it would be better to just deny all and
then only permit those sites.  Shoot, I don`t even
look at my own company homepage!   I should just use
ISA 2004 server along with Snort and then life would
be easy. The only problem I would have would be with
google.

In this way, I could build an entire stone bubble
around me and just poke out a few holes to see what I
want to see.  Then configure Snort to generate an
alert if any traffic comes in from any other site.
Should be easy.  I will try it when I go home since I
got the software there.

Theo