Snort mailing list archives

Re: Country blocking?

From: Alex Kirk <alex.kirk () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 08:56:22 -0500

That's probably a task that's better suited for your firewall, if you're just dropping all connections from a country, irrespective of what they contain.

That being said, though, it can be difficult to block based on geographic region, let alone a specific country. IP address ranges are somewhat fluid, and geolocation is still an inexact science. Unless I'm unaware of some new technology out there, chances are good that your attempt to block by country will result in some connections from it still getting through, along with the blocking of some things that aren't from that country -- especially since there's nothing in most packets that associate them with a specific country. I mean, it's not like you could to try to use Snort to block anything that contained the Chinese character set, since you'd miss messages coming from China in English, but zap messages in Chinese from, say, Cambodia, Vietnam, or even America. It gets worse when dealing with straight TCP/IP -- you wouldn't even have that kind of a clue.

If anyone else has a solution to this, I'm all ears, but I have a feeling you're out of luck here.

Alex Kirk
Research Analyst
Sourcefire, Inc.

Could anyone advise me on how to block a large IP address space using Snort-inline? For example, I would like to drop all connections originating from China.