Snort mailing list archives

RE: Country blocking?

From: Cilin <cilin5 () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 13:28:05 -0800 (PST)

You can check out the Ip-to-country database at
http://ip-to-country.webhosting.info. It isn't perfect
but at least there is the hope of update in the near
future.

If you use it to preemptively block IPs, then you
should consider the chance of blocking someone on
accident. But this is a risk you take with any
non-perfect database. I tried searching for a free and
complete mapping but couldn't find one. If anyone
knows of a flawless free/paid database please let me
know.

-Vents

--- "Donofrio, Lewis" <donofrio () umich edu> wrote:

Anything from RIPE.NET could be blocked as far as I
can tell....

--just my 2 cents.

Lewis Donofrio () umich edu      College of Literature,
Science, & Arts
1007 East Huron, Room 201,    BetaID:243340
Cell: (734) 323-8776
Ann Arbor,MI 48104-1690 www.umich.edu/~donofrio Fax:
(734) 647-8333

/\         [http://arc.pasp.de/]