Snort mailing list archives

RE: Demarc Certified Open Signatures

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 13:44:48 -0600

--On Thursday, March 03, 2005 12:41:31 PM -0500 Wayne Jackson <wayne.jackson () sourcefire com> wrote:

We have gone WAY above and beyond, in my humble opinion, protecting the
Snort user community and that should be even more evident as the new site
goes live Monday.

Oh, Lord, he says, scrambling to figure out what links will break on Monday.....:-)

While I agree wholeheartedly with your remarks, Wayne, I'd like to extend them even further.

Have those who are now complaining bitterly even given any thought to the work that Sourcefire *contributes* to the open source community at no charge? Rather than assuming the worst will happen (which IMNSHO is highly unlikely *anyway*) why not be thankful for the contributions of Marty and Brian, et. al. to open source?

In the very worst case, someone would simply fork the snort development off to a new IDS if Sourcefire ever tried to "take it private". Furthermore, Wayne makes a very good point about "others" who ignore the licensing requirements of the GPL.

While open source is wonderful, it is *not* a license to steal someone else's work, claim it as your own and *sell* the technology to others, without giving the developers any credit. Those are are strong open source advocates should be *especially* offended by this behavior *and* thankful that Sourcefire is willing **and has the funding** to *do* something about it.

As for the snide remark about 92K for a Sourcefire appliance --- if you've seen RNA, then you would know that it's worth every penny of it *and* no one is forcing you to buy their product.

Some folks just need to get a grip.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas