Snort mailing list archives

Re: Does setting HOME_NET have any effect in Stealth mode?

From: Rob Ward <rob.ward () liverpool ac uk>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 10:52:56 +0000

Thanks Alex,

--On 03 November 2004 10:19 +0000 "Alex Butcher, ISC/ISYS" <Alex.Butcher () bristol ac uk> wrote:

--On 02 November 2004 13:05 +0000 Rob Ward <rob.ward () liverpool ac uk>
wrote:

When I set "HOME_NET" to anything other than 'any' I no longer see any
DOS or DDOS alerts but P2P alerts are still output.

Depending on how the P2P rules in question are written, that will still
be the case. If you don't want to know which of your hosts in $HOME_NET
are using P2P services, why do you have the rules enabled?

I do want to see these but they're output regardless of what I set HOME_NET to. The thing is I also want to see the DOS and DDOS alerts but these stop being output when I use anything other than "var HOME_NET any"? I'd hoped that setting HOME_NET and EXTERNAL_NET would cut down the load on my box - which it does but if the DOS and DDOS alerts are no longer output then it defeats the object!

I've tried following the configuration examples in the FAQ's etc and
can't
get it to work. I'm wondering if HOME_NET has any relevance when running
snort in 'stealth' or am I wide of the mark?

You're wide of the mark. Running the sniffing interface with no IP
address has no interaction with HOME_NET, whether it's left at 'any' or
not. :-)

Also - can snort cope with variable length subnet masks?

Looks like it, from reading the source for ParseIP() in
parser/IpAddrSet.c. I'd be surprised if it doesn't handle VLSM
flawlessly, just as I was surprised when Solaris still didn't back around
'98/99 or so.

Rob Ward

Best Regards,
Alex.