Snort mailing list archives

Re: Does setting HOME_NET have any effect in Stealth mode?

From: Rob Ward <rob.ward () liverpool ac uk>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 15:09:32 +0000

Hi Michael,

--On 02 November 2004 23:02 +0800 Michael Boman <michael.boman () gmail com> wrote:

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 13:05:26 +0000, Rob Ward <rob.ward () liverpool ac uk>
wrote:
When I set "HOME_NET" to anything other than 'any' I no longer see any
DOS or DDOS alerts but P2P alerts are still output. I've tried following
the configuration examples in the FAQ's etc and can't get it to work. I'm
wondering if HOME_NET has any relevance when running snort in 'stealth'
or am I wide of the mark?

HOME_NET is used to define the network you are interesting to monitor,
and your snort box being in stealth mode or not has nothing to do with
it.

That's what I find strange - when I set HOME_NET to the network I want to monitor the DOS alerts are no longer output?

Also - can snort cope with variable length subnet masks?

Please explain what you mean.

For example:

var HOME_NET [138.253.82.0/23 , 138.253.160.0/22]

Best regards
 Michael Boman

Thanks and Regards

Rob Ward