Snort mailing list archives

Re: CAUTION: Long Rant!!! Re: [Snort-sigs] Broken 1429.2 (POLICY poll.gotomypc.com access)

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 16:42:13 -0500

--On Tuesday, October 12, 2004 02:20:31 PM -0500 Matt Jonkman <matt () infotex com> wrote:

Since this thread has been cross-posted to hell and back, I decided to leave them all in there. Normally I'd simply email the list since anyone subscribed to the list should see it just fine without needing a personalized copy. {{sigh}}

2. I don't think it unreasonable to hawk your wares once in a while in
the normal course of discussion.

I do. I don't read the snort list to find out about products. I read the snort list to learn more about snort and keep up with the development cycle. "Hawk[ing] your wares" doesn't fit in to that. There's nothing wrong with a sig that points to your site, but don't "hawk your wares" here. If you have something new going on, one simple announcement post (if it's directly related to snort) should be sufficient. "Seeding" various threads with hints about your great products is offensive.

BTW: The links you provided weren't a discussion with Eric in it as far
as I saw.

That isn't what Bamm said. What he said was "I think this [0] is the post you were refering to".

I read the post and Brian's response. If "professionals" are going to take offense to an expert saying "Don't do that" and "That's wrong", then perhaps they're not professionals. Brian is one of the foremost experts *in the world* on writing snort sigs, but even *I*, a rank amateur when it comes to sigs know that you don't use nocase with non-alpha characters and you don't use reserved sid numbers, for Pete's sake. If someone takes offense to having *that* pointed out to them, then don't bother to post sigs. It strikes me as a case of, "I don't really know what this does, but it can't hurt to have it in there" kind of thinking that is usually done by people who don't really understand what they're doing.

Email lacks the ability to convey emotion. It therefore sometimes seems blunt. Either learn to accept that or prepare to be constantly offended. The only "attitude" I've seen in Brian is a busy expert dealing with the facts and not being verbose about it.

I think Eric is wrong. I also think anyone else who criticizes Brian for his "attitude" is wrong. They need to grow up and learn to accept constructive criticism, even when it's not delivered in a velvet jewel case.

So not sure about what you were referring to. But I hope we can
just drop it.

The point of the thread is to try to build a productive working
relationship between bleeding snort and it's users, and
snort.org/sourcefire. No personal squabbles are more important than that
(or even relevant to this list). We need to grow up. Myself included in
that statement.

I thought the point of the thread was to diss Brian. "I will have to concur with Matt Jonkman here. You have a track record of degrading people in open forums and have done so to me on several occasions with no hesitation since I first started posting."

I don't see much "productive working relationship" building there.

Fire away.  I'm going back to work.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas