Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort will not detect anything on stealth interface unless I assign IP

From: Rhugga <snort-list () sandiego420 com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 06:58:23 -0700

Jason Haar wrote:

On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 12:10:25PM -0700, Rhugga wrote:
I have attached 1 interface of from ISD box a hub containing our border router and our 2 firewalls. I bring the interface up with no IP address and snort will not start due to $eth1_ADDRESS being null.

Well that's not right. I've run snort from RH7 to Fedora Core2 and it
doesn't need an IP address.

However, the interface has to be UP.

Make sure your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX looks like this:

DEVICE=eth1
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=0.0.0.0
NETMASK=0.0.0.0

Change ethX appropriately.

snort will start when eth1 has this dummy IP address but no rules are getting detected.

What does tcpdump on that interface show? If it can't see traffic, then
neither can snort. Actually "snort -v -i ethX" should do the same.

When I put a valid IP address on that interface in the same net as the router and firewalls, snort then starts matching rules...

Err... Now you're just getting freaky :-)

Oh, part of the problem is that I usually rip out Red Hat's cludgy config system for my own init scripts and I don't use the sysconfig directory for most things. I also rarely trust any of Red Hat's rpms for core components such as mysql and openssl.

Is there any reason why this would not work:

ifconfig eth1 down
ifconfig eth1 0.0.0.0
ifconfig eth1 up

I tried this and snort would not start, complaining the HOME_NET was not defined. FYI: The explicit ifconfig eth1 up on line 3 is not needed according to the specs, the interface should be brought up automatically in step 2.

Rhugga