Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort will not detect anything on stealth interface unless I assign IP

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 15:53:06 -0400

At 03:10 PM 7/17/2004, Rhugga wrote:
I have attached 1 interface of from ISD box a hub containing our border router and our 2 firewalls. I bring the interface up with no IP address and snort will not start due to $eth1_ADDRESS being null.

What are you using $eth1_address for? your HOME_NET?

if you set the eth1 interface to an invalid dummy address, and then try to use that dummy address for HOME_NET, of course no rules will match, because none of the traffic on your wire is in HOME_NET.

Edit your snort.conf to not use the interface address macros when doing stealth interfaces.