Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort will not detect anything on stealth interface unless I assign IP

From: Rhugga <snort-list () sandiego420 com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 06:53:52 -0700

Matt Kettler wrote:

At 03:10 PM 7/17/2004, Rhugga wrote:

I have attached 1 interface of from ISD box a hub containing our border router and our 2 firewalls. I bring the interface up with no IP address and snort will not start due to $eth1_ADDRESS being null.

What are you using $eth1_address for? your HOME_NET?

if you set the eth1 interface to an invalid dummy address, and then try to use that dummy address for HOME_NET, of course no rules will match, because none of the traffic on your wire is in HOME_NET.

Edit your snort.conf to not use the interface address macros when doing stealth interfaces.

I guess I am confused about how to configure HOME_NET, etc...

Here is what I am trying to do:

My snort box is on an internal address, 10.250.200.xx (there are no external routable IP addresses NATed to the machine) This is interface eth0, it has a copper gig connection directly to a port in a black diamond switch. (The NIC is a SysKonnect)

On the same box I ran a cable from the onboard 100mb intel NIC to the same hub that contains only our border router and our two firewalls. (the firewalls are in a redundant pair) The connection is full duplex 100 mb. (same with the router and firewalls) This is interface eth1.

I _only_ want to monitor traffic on eth1, I don't care anything about eth0 for this particuliar IDS. (I have others for internal networks) I don't want eth1 to have an IP address nor do I want to use any static arp entries anywhere.

To do this, how what would a define HOME_NET and the other vars too?

Thx,
Rhugga