Snort mailing list archives

Re: Multiple instances of Snort

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 10:59:11 -0400

How about just writing rules that capture the user logins/logouts so you can associate a user with an IP and just analyze their events on a per IP basis. It doesn't sound like you need per-user policy enforcement, you just want to be able to figure out who the user is on a particular IP address. If this is the case, just log it into your event analysis system and if you hit a critical event you just need to query for the last login event for that IP addr to figure out who the user is.

Forking an instance of Snort for each user seems like overkill to me...

Just my $.02.

     -Marty