Snort mailing list archives

Multiple instances of Snort

From: Micheal Cottingham <micheal.cottingham () sv vccs edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:55:12 -0400

In short, here's what I'd like to do:

I am a security technician for a college, and the college runs a public cyber cafe. We also offer wireless access. One of the problems is that there is little auditing in place for the wireless users. I'd like to setup IAS (I have to use Windows, otherwise I'd use freeradius.org), but there is no "nice" frontend for IAS. I'm thinking I could use MySQL and PHP and exec() IAS's command line options since IAS does not yet have scripting support. Here's where Snort would come in. Snort would log the packets coming to and from a user, and if something fires a filter in Snort, it would alert the cyber cafe monitor, and based on the severity/number of alerts for the user, the cyber cafe monitor could kill the session for the user. So, I'd like to fork Snort for each user. I don't expect more than say 5 wireless users at a time, but of course the more that I can get the application and Snort to scale, the better. My question is how well would Snort handle in such an environment with regards to resources, or is something like this even possible currently? Thanks.