Snort mailing list archives

Re: (no subject)

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 10:45:25 -0400

On Sep 29, 2004, at 7:25 AM, Peter Osterberg wrote:

Anyway the problem I have is that reporting to the db is missed if some kind of network connection problem occurs between the sensor and the db.

Sounds like they're writing straight to the DB instead of spooling do the local disk prior to writing the events to the DB. The downside to doing it this way is that it's 1) slow (slows down Snort) and 2) lossy in the event of a network outage.

Is there some well known and practised way around this problem? I've been thinking of logging traffic to disk using tcpdump and with a decent file split size, say 1 MB. Check if there are finished files every 5 minutes, check if there is a working connection with the db, process dump files, report alerts and exit. Hang around for five more minutes and repeat. I've noticed that the reported time for detected events is the timestamp when the alert is stored in the database and not the timestamp of the tcppacket that triggers the event. I guess that the SQL function "now()" is used in the query!?

The "right way" to solve this problem is to use Barnyard and unified output, that's what they were written for. I don't know if they'll work with your "modified" Snort from Demarc, but it sounds like you've got a problem that we've already solved here. I don't know if it'll work with your commercial solution, but if you paid money for it you should probably be getting support from them.

Does anyone now if I can specify that "now()" shouldn't be used or some other way the reach my goals?

Digging around a little more, it looks like Barnyard won't work for you if you're using the Puresecure backend, they've got their own modified ACID-like output plugin and their own schema. You should contact Demarc to see if they can come up with a solution for you.

It just struck my mind that tcpdump most likely doesn't store timestamps for every packet in raw mode. Can I tell it to do so and will Snort be able to read it in case it is possible?

Tcpdump does store the timestamp with every packet, as does Snort in pcap and unified output mode.

     -Marty

--
Sourcefire - Discover.  Determine.  Defend.
roesch () sourcefire com - http://www.sourcefire.com