Snort mailing list archives

RE: Finding alerts taking up the most database space

From: "M Shirk" <shirkdog_linux () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:32:29 -0400

When using an IDS in general, if you have 6G of data for a very short time-frame, you may need to either tune your sensor by filtering, or by archiving that data.

If this is for a business/project, you need to have a definition of the time-frame to keep live data available for analysis. One of the clients I worked with created 2 GB of data every 3 months. I knew what the problem was, but they did not let us filter :-). They wanted this info for trending (don't ask).

I think others on the list would chime in that this is not a snort problem because snort is working.

Do you have snort and the mysql DB and your webserver all on the same server? I have run this configuration just for testing and it kills my rather old system with 160MB of RAM.

Shirkdog.
http://www.shirkdog.us