Snort mailing list archives

Snort Logging to SQL Server 2000?

From: "McCash, John" <John.McCash () andrew com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:45:19 -0500

Guys,
        The deeper I get into this the more confusing it becomes. I'd read that logging to mssql was supported, but
it's not clear how to configure it in snort. I now have my SQL Server 2000 database set up and ready to go (minus a
couple of services entries in snortdb-extra), but I can't get snort to log to the database. It's complaining that
"'mssql' support is not compiled into this build of snort". Now I'm digging through the database howto at
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~rdanyliw/snort/snortdb/snortdb_install.html, and it says "Note: native MS-SQL Server support
is NOT possible on Unix without the use of ODBC. For native SQL Server support use snort on Windows". Huh? OK. I'm
obviously hopelessly lost and need handholding at this point. Is this possible at all? All I know about ODBC is that
it's some sort of database API, right? Help?
                Thanks lots
                        John

this email is prohibited.