Snort mailing list archives

Snort to detect Window worms & scanners etc.

From: Jorgen Lundman <lundman () lundman net>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:53:20 +0900

(Hopefully this will be allowed through - not on the mailling list).

We have the situation here that we use a Solaris box and ipf/ipnat to let all on the inside talk to the outside. We don't really need to protect ourselves from incoming scans (except on the nat box itself) but rather that the troubles that happen most frequently is that the Windows users (so far, 100% only Windows) manage to infect themselves with whatever Worm, Trojans, Virus etc. These often start scanning, or DDOSing the net.

I would like to find a tool that would mostly look for these patterns. Generally it is quite easy to spot them (cycling IPs or mass packet storms) but something automatic would be nice. If it would also pick out other questionable packets that would be a bonus too.

Presumably it would need its DB regularly updated for whatever new flavour is out there.

Is this something snort does? I read the FAQ and got the feeling it was concentrating more on attacks, and scans?

I apologise for the noise..

Please CC: me if you reply.

Lund

--
Jorgen Lundman       | <lundman () lundman net>
Unix Administrator   | +81 (0)3 -5456-2687 ext 1017 (work)