Snort mailing list archives

Re: Ok, Ok - I know - http_inspect

From: SN ORT <snort_on_acid () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 13:42:21 -0700 (PDT)

Yes, but is that really gen_id 119? I mean you can
threshold the snort sigs but I don't know that you can
threshold inspect alerts! Anyone try to threshold
decode or inspect alerts? I don't know because I have
not looked at threshold too much, but I do know that
you have to specify a sig_id, which these particular
alerts do not have. Good luck sir!

Cheese!

Marc

--- Snortty <cwcwcwg () yahoo com> wrote:

I put no_alerts to stop all gen_id 119 alerts for
now
- snort runs and shows it in effect, since most if
not
ALL of these alerts are from internal web servers
(we
have too many), which are under normal usage. I
guess
there are bigger fish in the pond.

BTW, I did use threshold.conf to suppress gen_id 119
alerts, it won't stop them.

Thank you so much again!

--- sekure <sekure () gmail com> wrote:
What are you trying to do?  Those alerts look
legitimate, as in, you
configure http_inspect_server to only notify you
of
attacks it spots
in URI content, and according to snort
documentation
"When enabled,
only the URI portion of HTTP requests will be
inspected for attacks.
As this field usually contains 90-95% of the web
attacks, you'll catch
most of the attacks."

So you are still getting the alerts.  I couldn't
find an acceptible
configuration of http_inspect_server which didn't
generate a ton of
false positives, and i tried EVERYTHING.  I still
wanted to be able to
use the uricontent keyword, so i needed
http_inspect, so i defined
http_inspect_server as:

preprocessor http_inspect_server: server default \
    profile apache \
    ports { 80 8080 } \
    no_alerts

The no_alerts stops all of the gen_id 119 alerts
from showing up.

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 06:04:34 -0700 (PDT), Snortty