Snort mailing list archives

Re: Problems Upgrading

From: sekure <sekure () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 17:13:29 -0400

It looks to me like you have two separate issues:

1. Snort doesn't appear to have been built with mysql support.  Best I
can suggest is try again. (make clean, ./configure, etc)

2. Building snort and running snort are two different things.  You can
build snort as a regular user, and run it as root and vice versa.  The
problem you are running into is that snort can't put the interface
into promiscuous mode.  Only root can do that.  So try su to root, or
sudo.  Although with sudo you may run into the library path issue
again, since sudo  strips LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable before launching
the binary.

What I would recommend is that your recompile, since you have to do
that anyway to get mysql support and use RPATH variable to pass on to
ld where to find pcre.  Add LDFLAGS="-Wl,-R,/local/lib" or whatever
your pcre lib directory is to the end of your ./configure command
line.