Snort mailing list archives

Re: ru.le to detect lots of syn pkts?

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 16:57:04 -0500

--On Friday, June 04, 2004 11:36:54 AM -0600 Rich Adamson <radamson () routers com> wrote:

> Of course.  That's what thresholding is for.  For example:
>
> If you only want to catch SYN packets:
> alert tcp $HOME)NET any -> any any (msg: "High traffic host, SYN
> packets";  flags:S; threshold: type both, track by_src, count 4000,
> seconds 60;  classtype:misc-activity; sid: 1000002; rev:1;)

Getting  and error "*** Invalid integer input: 4000" using the above.
Running v2.10. Do I need to upgrade to handle this?

No, something else is wrong. Thresholding has been in snort since about 2.0.4 (IIRC). It may be a syntax problem. Make sure that you have a colon after threshold and commas after each keyword, and a semi-colon at the end.

threshold: type both, track by_src, count 4000, seconds 60;

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member