Snort mailing list archives

Win32 v2.13 build 27 problem

From: Rich Adamson <radamson () routers com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 14:03:29 -0600

Think I've discovered a problem with the current Win32 build.
Using the following rule:

alert tcp $HOME)NET any -> any any (msg: "High traffic host, SYN packets";
flags:S; threshold: type both, track by_src, count 4000, seconds 60;
classtype:misc-activity; sid: 1000002; rev:1;)

Snort complains with:
 ERROR: *** threshold: count
 *** Invaalid integer input: 4000
 Fatal Error, Quitting...

If I swap "count 4000" with "seconds 60" (ordering only), the above error
is reported for seconds instead of count. Looks like the code to interpret
the integer that follows the parameter is not working correctly.

A search of the recent archives does not indicate anyone else with the
problem. Removing the above from the local.rules allows snort to operate
correctly. Reading the README.Thresolding text file tends to suggest the
above rule is constructed correctly.

Is this a known problem or is this new?

Rich