Snort mailing list archives

Re: ru.le to detect lots of syn pkts?

From: Rich Adamson <radamson () routers com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 17:30:45 -0600

Of course.  That's what thresholding is for.  For example:

If you only want to catch SYN packets:
alert tcp $HOME)NET any -> any any (msg: "High traffic host, SYN
packets";  flags:S; threshold: type both, track by_src, count 4000,
seconds 60;  classtype:misc-activity; sid: 1000002; rev:1;)

Getting  and error "*** Invalid integer input: 4000" using the above.
Running v2.10. Do I need to upgrade to handle this?

No, something else is wrong.  Thresholding has been in snort since about
2.0.4 (IIRC).  It may be a syntax problem.  Make sure that you have a colon
after threshold and commas after each keyword, and a semi-colon at the end.

threshold: type both, track by_src, count 4000, seconds 60;

Here's a copy/paste of the exact rule:
alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> any any (msg: "High SYN Traffic"; flags:S; threshold: track by_src,
seconds 60, count 50, type both ; classtype:misc-activity; sid: 1000002; rev:1;)

Obviously we've moved the parameters around, but it still barfs on "seconds 60"
with the above order. I'm thinking this is a Win32 bug since upgrading to
the latest build did not resolve the issue. I've played with spaces before/after
comas, etc; no impact.

Can you spot anything in the rule that I might have overlooked or just kept
reading right through it?

Rich