Snort mailing list archives

Re: How are alerts being logged?

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 18:01:03 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Peggy Kam wrote:

I am running snort-2.0.4 on RH9.  I would like to know how the alerts
are logged to the log file?  The reason why I am asking is that I would
like to know if I am able to move the logs to another log file when the
default log file reaches its size limitation.

Well...  It depends.  Snort's normal alerts don't have any sort of size
restriction.  If you're not logging to 'unified' then there isn't any sort
of size limitation, other than the OS.

If you're going to do something like that, you'll need to restart Snort
(kill -HUP or stop then start) for the file handle to be closed.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams

 "It looks just like a Telefunken U-47.  You'll love it..."  -- Frank Zappa