Snort mailing list archives

Re: SUMMARY, CyberKit 2.2 Ping, its driven me Nuts..

From: Simon Smith <greybrimstone2004 () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 23:26:18 -0800 (PST)

Greetings,
        (I'm new to this list, so if this is old news just tell me to shut up.) I've actually found a product called
anvil that seems to work very well with existing IDS solutions. Its sort of an IDS harness that uses your existing IDS
engines such as snort, realsecure, etc..and enhances their capabilities.

       As for this pain in the ass Cyberkit alert, you can easily configure ALL of your sensors from a menu called
configure priorities. It allows you to change the criticality of the alerts or to totally disable a rule..

      The other thing about this product is that it is DAMN FAST.  This morning when I got into the office I had 350697
alerts for the ms sql propogation attempt (and it only took 1 second to process the alerts for display).  Then it took
me all of 3 minutes to validate that the the attacks didn't affect my networks and clear them from my database.

       One of the features that I really like is that it supports segmented administration.  For example, the network
that I am responsible for has 6 seperate subnets.  There are two administrators that work on my team, and each of them
is responsible for 3 subnets. Anvil allowed me to create one isolated account for each administrator so that they could
only see IDS and forensic information for their network, yet I can see the full view for both networks if I need to
from my console. (the managment console is a web based system so thats kinda cool too)

     The guy that I talked to about getting my demo cd (yes I am running the demo) was mtohvisky () secnetops com.
When I last talked to him he said that they were doing some sort of a try it for free and if you like it like it, buy
it. (the trial period for me was 15 days which was a bit short, but I think I am going to buy it.)

     Anyway, I thought I'd share my feelings on this product.  Its one of the first products that I've ever seen that
solves MANY of the inherent issues and can actually identify real threats vs bogus threats VERY quickly and VERY
accuratley.

Hope some of you find this useful. ;)

Regards,
      Jim Shaw