Snort mailing list archives

Re: SUMMARY, CyberKit 2.2 Ping, its driven me Nuts..

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () utc edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 22:47:25 -0500

Earlier I wrote:
Brice B wrote:
 Chris,

would you mind telling us how you set it to alert only internal Cyberkit/Nachi ping attempts? Did you use thresholding?

Can anyone verify the [non]existance of a difference between the Cyberkit and Nachi pings? Not having Cyberkit myself, I can only address Nachi. The frame is 106 bytes on the wire, 92 bytes in the IP packet, and 64 bytes of 0xaa in the ICMP data payload.

I just captured a packet with Snort that was flagged as Cyberkit and it differs from the classic Nachi packet -- the data payload is 68 bytes and the last 4 bytes are nulls:

#(1 - 55391) [2003-12-31 21:52:18] [arachNIDS/154] [snort/483]
> ICMP PING CyberKit 2.2 Windows
IPv4: 218.22.67.12 -> xxx.xx.xxx.xxx
      hlen=5 TOS=0 dlen=96 ID=0 flags=0 offset=0 TTL=108 chksum=3011
ICMP: type=Echo Request code=0
      checksum=20776 id= seq=
Payload:  length = 68

000 : AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA   ................
010 : AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA   ................
020 : AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA   ................
030 : AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA   ................
040 : 00 00 00 00                                       ....

The classic Nachi pings are 64 bytes in length, and all 0xAA. I don't get Nachi pings anymore since they are blocked by our border routers. This one got through because the length didn't match Nachi.

So... is this really a Cyberkit ping? And if so, can't someone a bit more experienced with signatures create revised signatures that will differentiate between Cyberkit and Nachi?

Or, since Nachi is "supposed" to expire tomorrow, is it even worth it?

Jeff