Snort mailing list archives

Re: SUMMARY, CyberKit 2.2 Ping, its driven me Nuts..

From: Brice B <nesta () iceburg net>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 20:20:47 -0600

Chris,

would you mind telling us how you set it to alert only internal Cyberkit/Nachi ping attempts? Did you use thresholding?

Regards,

 Brice Burgess

Chris N wrote:

Fellowship of the Snort,

I guess I should have clarified that all the "CyberKit 2.2 Ping" alerts were
ingress only.

Some of you guys suggested just removing the alert. Yes that would stop the
chaos, but I didn't want to blind myself. Although, I do have to admit I was
leaning this way.

With the advise from a few others I decided to keep the rule, but with a
slight modification to alert me on egress only. I am only really concerned
about systems within my network. Yes, keeping track of this traffic from the
outside would be a good idea, but in my environment its not feasible.
Someday, when I'm questioned about the necessity of an IDS, I will switch
this alert and a few others back to saturate, so as to subdue the
misinformed.

Thank you for your time
Chris N.