Snort mailing list archives

Re: File Size Limit Exceeded - error

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 07:27:30 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, RAJNEEL DHOTRE wrote:

I am running snort 2.0.4 on Redhat 9.0. Few days after installation snort
stopped running. When i check the "snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf" it gave
me a error "File Size Limit Exceeded". I check the file size limit by
executing the "ulimit" command, "unlimited". Also i check the
/etc/security/limits.conf file, all lines are #.

Please help me solve this problem, i checked on google too but no luck..

RH has a standard limit of 2GB for file size.  You'll need to rotate the
logfiles or the pcap files that have become larger than 2GB.  Either that
or rebuild your kernel to support larger files, but that's a bit of
overkill...  You can rotate logs a lot quicker and simpler than rebuilding
the entire kernel.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams