Snort mailing list archives

Re: threshold in rule definition and in threshold.conf

From: Nerijus Krukauskas <nkrukauskas () lb lt>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 08:43:04 +0200

Jeremy Hewlett wrote:
On Wed, Jan 07, Nerijus Krukauskas wrote:

Let's say, I want to raise the count threshold. Will the line in threshold.conf (threshold gen_id 1, sig_id 2274, type threshold, track by_dst, count 10, seconds 60;) give me the desired result?

This should error, you can't apply multiple thresholds to the same
sid.

Right. Just after sending the original e-mail, I realized that I can try this on my test SNORT. And yes, it triggered an error. And I must go for a drink... :) (This is covered in README.thresholding)

Anyway, I already got Oinkmaster update with the IMAP/POP thresholds raised. Thanks!

In other words, will the custom made thresholds in threshold.conf
override those in the definition of rules?

Thresholds in a rule will override other thresholds (ie: globals).

Can the above sentence be included in the README.thresholding? Or have I missed that point while reading it?

--
NK @ Vilnius
nk.tinkle.lt