Snort mailing list archives

threshold in rule definition and in threshold.conf

From: Nerijus Krukauskas <nk99 () delfi lt>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 14:14:10 +0200

There're some rules that have threshold limits in their definition. E.g. alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET 110 (msg:"POP3 login brute force attempt"; flow:to_server,established; content:"USER"; nocase; threshold:type threshold, track by_dst, count 5, seconds 60; classtype:suspicious-login; sid:2274; rev:1;).

Let's say, I want to raise the count threshold. Will the line in threshold.conf (threshold gen_id 1, sig_id 2274, type threshold, track by_dst, count 10, seconds 60;) give me the desired result? In other words, will the custom made thresholds in threshold.conf override those in the definition of rules?

--
NK @ Vilnius
nk.tinkle.lt

"... the Mayo Clinic, named after its founder, Dr. Ted Clinic ..." -- Dave Barry