Snort mailing list archives

Re: Troubles With Multiple Sensors

From: Tim Rohrer <snort () metbymail com>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 08:03:27 -0700

On Friday, October 24, 2003, at 11:36 AM, Erek Adams wrote:

Unless your cable modem is spitting out ethernet frames on the backside,
and you don't need anything else to get online, then it won't work.  If
you can't connect a ethernet cable into the back of your cable modem and
then connect that to a computer, and get network--You won't see any
traffic. Some of those cable modems depend on a router on the back side
to actually do translation into the ether frames instead of doing it by
thierself.

There are other possiblities, but that's usually the most common.

Cheers!

Thanks Erek.

I broke down and bought another router, a D-Link DL-604. This morning, I added it into the network so that I had the following:

Internet-->DL-604-->Linksys BEFW11S4-->LAN.

I got the routing tables set up so I could ping from one of the computers on the LAN to the DL-604 but could not get out to the Internet. From the DL-604, I was able to ping my cable company but that was it. Sounds like it might be a DNS issue but I am not convinced since I could not even ping the DNS servers from the LAN. : ( Will have to keep trying.

I am still concerned that I will have the same problem with this configuration. The DL-604 will simply function as a switch and I still will not see much traffic. It was not clear from the DL-604 configuration screens that I can set this up purely as a router.

Tim