Snort mailing list archives

Re: Troubles With Multiple Sensors

From: "Shawn Truax" <Shawn.Truax () mbs gov on ca>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 06:14:21 -0400

I would suggest trying tcpdump instead of snort to do your testing.  Running tcpdump as follows:

tcpdump -n -X -i eth1

Should dump all packets received on that uplink port and display their payloads (Drop the -X if you don't want
payload).  This should give you everything ARP, broadcast and anything destined to the port without the complications
that snort may give.  As an aside I find tcpdump to be the best tool for testing/diagnosing an interface before running
snort to make sure everything is working properly.

Shawn

"Tim Rohrer" <snort () metbymail com> 10/23/03 09:03am >>>
All,

I am looking for more help as I continue to learn this thing : )

I have added a second NIC to the computer I am using for snort and
have connected it to the shared uplink port on my switch (I am trying
to confirm with the manufacturer that this port gets broadcasted
traffic).  I gave the NIC an IP address not on my home network.  To
test, I issued the command:

snort -v -i eth1 but I am not getting anything at all.

Do I need to be doing something different to test a second sensor?
Is the fact that I am not detecting any traffic a good sign that the
uplink port IS NOT doing what I hoped?

I had tried placing an inexpensive 10M hub between my cable modem and
the router but the cable modem would not pass any traffic to the hub.
: (

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tim
--