Snort mailing list archives

Re: Program that reads unified log format natively

From: Bamm Visscher <bamm () satx rr com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:51:26 -0500

I run barnyard in continual mode (using a waldo file) and  snort with a limit on the size of the unified out files:

  output log_unified: filename snort.log, limit 128

Once my log_unified file (snort.log.########) gets to be 128MBs, snort wraps the logging around. So, that takes care of
the "twice the disk space" problem. Use daemontools or similar to ensure that barnyard stays up and all should be good.

The snort guys HAD to use a proprietary format for this as the unified formats include snort ALERT information.
Otherwise you are talking about doing tcpdump -r pcap.log -> snort -r pcap.log and from there you might as well use the
standard spo_* as snort isn't going to 'drop' any packets in this config.

Bammkkkk