Snort mailing list archives

Re: Program that reads unified log format natively

From: Chris Green <cmg () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 11:39:28 -0400

"Williams Jon" <WilliamsJonathan () JohnDeere com> writes:

This gets into one of the fundamental problems that I've had with
barnyard in the first place.  Today, we use snort to log directly to
libpcap-format files locally and send the data across the net to the
DB server.  As I understand it, in order to have the same two
functions (i.e. being able to use any libpcap-based tool to read the
local files and data aggregation via the DB), I end up having to
have nearly duplicate log files on my sensors, one in unified format
that is then read and converted into libpcap.

I understand the Snort Team's motiviation behind externalizing the
log processing, but by choosing a proprietary format for the first
pass, they've either doubled the amount of disk space I need for
logs or made a feature that I won't use.

The proprietary format is because of the need to store event data.
Otherwise, there are kludges that would work with libpcap based tools
but look odd.

The easiest pcap app to convert would be to write an input plugin for
ethereal.  If you make one, please send it to me :)

The primary concern barnyard was written for was to allow output
plugins to take variable amounts of time but let the IDS not block
when something like the SQL server goes down without resorting to
complicated threading
--
Chris Green <cmg () sourcefire com>
Eschew obfuscation.