Snort mailing list archives

Re: Question about negated and non-negated variables in rules

From: "J-H. Johansen" <corinth () online no>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 16:12:25 +0100

Matt Kettler wrote:

At 06:24 AM 11/29/2003, Jens-Harald Johansen wrote:

But if I understand you correctly, I need to create pass rules for the hosts which are allowed to run the ICMP traffic ? Think I'll need to RTFM concerning pass rules. Haven't used them before.

pass rules are pretty straight forward, just make sure you pass the -o parameter to snort's command line.

Also think your pass rules through carefully.. make sure you don't wind up with a rule that is the equivalent of "pass any any -> any any".

After reading a bit I ended up with a pass rule like below:

pass icmp $ICMP_WHITELIST any -> $HOME_NET any (dsize: >800; sid:499;)

I kept the sid in order to know what alert rule I'm letting pass.

Thanks for the help

jens:H