Snort mailing list archives

Re: Question about negated and non-negated variables in rules

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 15:03:05 -0500

At 02:49 PM 11/28/2003, Jens-Harald Johansen wrote:
Thanks Matt, but what I was looking for was the boolean equivalent of:

(a) and ((not b) or (not c))

Meaning, I want a, but not b or c. This rule will then be negated in the rules I'm mod'ing.

*cough* compare those two statements...
        (a) and ((not b) or (not c))
        (note: the above is the same as "a" if b and c don't overlap)

is not the same as:
        A and not (b or c).

However, I don't think that construct is possible in snort syntax... you'd have to use pass rules to get it.

The top-level operation in a IP list in snort is an OR operator, not an AND operator, so you cannot "subtract off" IPs already added to the list.