Snort mailing list archives

Re: Question about negated and non-negated variables in rules

From: Jens-Harald Johansen <corinth () online no>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 12:24:27 +0100

Matt Kettler wrote:

At 02:49 PM 11/28/2003, Jens-Harald Johansen wrote:

Thanks Matt, but what I was looking for was the boolean equivalent of:

(a) and ((not b) or (not c))

Meaning, I want a, but not b or c. This rule will then be negated in the rules I'm mod'ing.

*cough* compare those two statements...
        (a) and ((not b) or (not c))
        (note: the above is the same as "a" if b and c don't overlap)

is not the same as:
        A and not (b or c).

However, I don't think that construct is possible in snort syntax... you'd have to use pass rules to get it.

The top-level operation in a IP list in snort is an OR operator, not an AND operator, so you cannot "subtract off" IPs already added to the list.

Sorry, my bad. Been awhile since I had any boolean mathematic in school and ... err ... guess I stumbled a bit there *cough*.

You're absolutly correct. I need to whitelist a couple of IP addresses which are allowed to run certain forms of ICMP traffic on our net.

But if I understand you correctly, I need to create pass rules for the hosts which are allowed to run the ICMP traffic ? Think I'll need to RTFM concerning pass rules. Haven't used them before.

Thanks

jens:H