Snort mailing list archives

Re: Attack on snort running in Public Zone

From: "crtech" <crtech () hot rr com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:05:05 -0600

I run snort on a Win2k box.  I have placed it outside our network so that we may see what is trying to get in.  In the
future we plan to add one to the inside.  (We are just learning right now)  When I installed the OS on this box I made
sure that I had all the patches and updates.  I also tried to look everything down that I could come up with.  The
final protection was that I did not assign that NIC an IP address.  It can not send anything so it is my understanding
that it will not be able to be hacked.

Lynn