Snort mailing list archives

Re: Attack on snort running in Public Zone

From: MH <procana () insight rr com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 22:04:31 -0500

Hi KS,

If you assign a routable address to your snort sensor, it will
be directly exposed to all the things any other system on the Internet
are exposed to (including (D)DOS attacks).
All of the *external* sensors that I have deployed
run OpenBSD with very restrictive pf rulesets.  I would
never recommend that anyone put an ms system outside
of a firewall especially with a *live* ip address.
Then again, I wouldn't recommend anyone put an ms system
inside of a firewall either ;)

Is it necessary that you assign an ip address to your external
sensor?  You might want to consider not binding any address.

Hope this helps,
Mike