Snort mailing list archives

RE: Attack on snort running in Public Zone

From: "Aaron" <microchp () microchp org>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 20:26:47 -0800

I prefer *nix as well and always will, though not for that reason. Most people dont know about the values you can change in the windows registry to perform many of the same things you can do in ndd/sysctl/etc..

Here is just one of the things you can do to help handle those attacks:

Always export your entire registry before making any changes.

There are several other values you can change that help a little, such as a few of the tweaks mentioned at speedguide.net.

The only feature that is missing from windows that I would like to see borrowed from linux is something "like" SynCookies.

(This of course is only if you are forced to, or feel inclined to run snort on windows... I only use RH9 for snort, but I am a distant relative to the penguin).

Aaron