Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort as Gigabit Sensor

From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:06:10 +1200

Jeff wrote:

Some other posts to this thread talk about getting the max performance
out of a single system, up to 300-500Mbps.  To get a full Gig (well
700Mbps or so anyway) of IDS traffic you'll need to load balance a
server farm.  Check out the Nortel Alteon Web Switches which have IDS

Can I just ask a naive question? Needing to load balance is only due to the sites requiring PCI-based IDS isn't it? I mean, there are Gb IDS out there - they wouldn't need load balancers would they?

Pretty scary: Gb Ethernet isn't exactly cutting edge these days - being required to go over to load balancers must really change the budget requirements...

[so sayeth the lucky 100M-max Snort user ;-)]

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417