Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort as Gigabit Sensor

From: Banniza Robert <Robert.Banniza () HCAhealthcare com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 14:27:15 -0500

Here's a little more information I forgot to provide in the first post. The
machine is an IBM x335 Xeon with dual 2.6Ghz procs and 1GB RAM. As for the
logging portion, I am not using Barnyard (yet)....We were setup to log to
Postgres and to syslog. However, we did notice something interesting...With
all logging turned off and just sniffing with the default ruleset, we were
still dropping packets. Also, by placing 8 pass rules in local.rules, this
accounted for about 6-7% of the packet loss. Therefore, if we turned the
pass rules off (commented out local.rules), our packet loss would drop down
to 33% or so.

Robert