Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort and backdoors

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 06:44:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Wojciech M. wrote:

I added to snort.conf (version 2.0.0) line:
include $RULE_PATH/backdoor.rules

and I started Snort:
snort -A full -l /home/test/log -h my_home_network/32 -c /etc/snort.conf

All worked fine, but Snort didn't log any of backdoors. This is strange
because he logged others attacks. To test Snort I used Nessus.

What did I wrong?

Nothing.

If you look at the backdoor ruleset, you'll see that the keyword "flow:"
is used on almost every rule.  Flow keeps track of state and understands
the difference between a single packet containing the backdoor code and a
entire 'converstation' that contains it.  Basically, if "flow:" is used,
you're going to look at the entire conversation, not just one packet.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams