Snort mailing list archives

Re: Anyone using "Enterprise implementation"?

From: Emre Bastuz <info () emre de>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 17:00:20 +0200

Hi,

first of all thanks for the many responses!

For those who are interested, here a summary of what
has been suggested:

- AFAIS the first thing for me to do to improve
the database performance would be to modify
the snort config and disable all unnecessary
rules/checks.

Of course it´s not always easy to know what is
needed and what is not - "our webserver might be
under attack, but wait - did I activate the
appropriate rule in my sensor? *argh*".

- Secondly an archiving practice to move data
from the current DB to another one should be
neccessary.

- Furthermore I have to reconsider what Snort is
being used for in general: not for analysis that
is X days old but for recognition of supposed attacks
within a short timeframe.

- Filtering out ICMP/SYN noise should also reduce the size of
the DB.

I do not see any reason for switching to another
database (Postgres or even Oracle). Those might be
nice when used in a commercial environment due to
the transactions, rollback, etc. functions but this
makes no sense for Snort (as Mysql´s just an alternative
to flat file). Mysql in this case is the most performant DB
and thus the best choice (IMHO).

Bamm suggested using http://sguil.sf.net/ and Herve mentioned
an Acid like frontend that will come out in a while.
I´ll definitly take a look at those.

Using two machines in a sensor/manager way is part of an evaluation
to decide if commercial products are worth the money or if Snort
is an alternative. My major concern was hardware performance
when sniffing on an GigE network, that´s why I added all kinds
of signatures to the snort process in the first place.

Once I got the appropriate ruleset and frontend figured out,
I´d like to do concentrate on hardware prerequisites for a
given network load. I´m planning to do some MRTG/RRD style
presentation. Anyone interested in such a thing?

If there is anything you would like to see integrated in the
performance measuring please let me know.

Thanks again,

Emre

--
info () emre de              http://www.emre.de
UIN: 561260           PGP Key ID: 0xAFAC77FD