Snort mailing list archives

RE: Slackware or RedHat?

From: "Yee, Matthew" <matthew_yee () CITY VANCOUVER BC CA>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 09:15:24 -0700

What do you guys think of Debian?

-----Original Message-----
From: Erek Adams [mailto:erek () snort org]
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2003 19:44
To: Marcelo Ribeiro
Cc: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Slackware or RedHat?

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Marcelo Ribeiro wrote:

 What is the best Linux distribution to implement Snort: RedHat or
Slackware?

 Any opinion will be apreciated.

*shrug*  Depends on what you know.

I've got a personal beef with RH in that they change 'standard' software
(libpcap anyone?) and don't bother to mention it.  Never used Slack, but
some folks like it.

Personally, I'd point you at Gentoo.  It's the ultimate thing for a 'control
freak'.  You get to tweak all sorts of compile options from the initial
install and you can do some very cool things with ebuilds that automagically
compile in support for X, MySQL, PHP, etc. in each build you do.  And it's
already got ebuilds of Snort 2.0.1 and SGUIL (well sorta).

        http://www.gentoo.org/

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams