Snort mailing list archives

RE: PID problem

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 21:02:55 -0500

--On Monday, August 25, 2003 19:55:52 -0400 JP Vossen <vossenjp () netaxs com> wrote:

I saw several follow-up posts but it was not clear to me if this has been
totally solved.

It's not.

If not, an alternative to hacking the source would be to create symlinked
snort binaries with a new name.  That worked for my multi-instance sensor
(-R is not in the man page, and I missed it in -h), but YMMV.

I already did that.  The "second" binary is named snort_special.

IIRC, I had more of a problem with /var/lock/subsys/ than with
/var/run/snort*.pid files.  I am using different interfaces, so the PID
files get created with those OK.  No so with the lockfiles.  I also had
to re-write /etc/init.d/snortd a bit.

My problem is I'm using the same interface. I haven't seen any errors from /var/log/subsys/, but the pidfile gets overwritten every time. I just haven't had time to play around with it to figure out why.

To be honest, I don't really remember all the details except that no
matter what I did (again, w/o -R) I could not get it to work the way I
wanted without the "renamed" binary files.

The odd thing is that -R works fine from the commandline, it just doesn't work from the startup script. But again, I haven't had time to mess with it to figure out why.

Still, some messing with symlinks is easier than hacking the source code.

Indeed.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas