Snort mailing list archives

RE: Cyberkit signature

From: "Schmehl, Paul L" <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 18:28:01 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew.Patrick () kemperservices com
[mailto:Andrew.Patrick () kemperservices com]
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2003 3:59 PM
To: intrusions () incidents org; snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Cyberkit signature

Nachi puts out a 92 byte ICMP type 0 (echo request) packet with a 64
byte payload of "a"'s.

Nachi sends out ICMP Type 8, Code 0 packets (echo request).
Clients that answer it will be sending ICMP Type 0, Code 0
(echo reply).  These replies WILL also have the string of
"aaaaaaa" in the payload, but seeing a reply does not prove
that the system replying is infected.  Try to filter on the
ICMP Type 8, Code 0 combo AND the "aaaaaa"s in the content...

Thanks, Patrick.  I obviously misread the header info when I was
analyzing those.  Another doh! moment.

I've modified the rule to look for "itype: 8; icode: 0;".

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member