Snort mailing list archives

Re: Cyberkit signature

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 15:29:22 -0500

--On Thursday, August 21, 2003 10:46:37 AM -0400 djmurd () cox net wrote:

Hey there - can any of you please point me to some reliable information
that says the "cyberkit 2.2" signature is really the Nachia / Welchia
worm?

I need some more ammo in order to block ICMP for our network...

Here's a rule that detects Nachi ICMP traffic:
# This rule is for tracking Nachi infections
alert icmp $HOME_NET any -> any any (msg: "ALERT!!! NACHI Infection!!"; content: "|aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa|"; dsize:64; classtype:trojan-activity; sid: 10000008; rev: 1;)

Bear in mind that it will also pick up switches and routers that are handling the Nachi traffic, but you can separate out the infections because you'll have thousands of hits rather than one or two.

Nachi puts out a 92 byte ICMP type 0 (echo request) packet with a 64 byte payload of "a"'s.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member